Picture it: It’s snowing and then sleeting. I figure waiting to go to work is the answer. Though that usually works, today I find myself in the thick of the sleet (and a slightly incorrect forecast) and realize I’ve done this backwards (listening to forecast = my first mistake). The school I use as my guide as to what to do changed from a two-hour delay to closed, apparently possessing a crystal ball I’m not privvy to. The next time this happens, though, I’ll follow their lead.

I crawl on the back roads that are all of a sudden covered with ice-topped snow. I crawl on the highway, now slushy and slicker than the earlier traffic reports on TV indicated. People pass turtle me and, not long after, I pass what may be one of them with a new friend of theirs spun out on the side of the road. I don’t smile — now is not the time for Schadenfreude.

I slide through the stop sign in my snow-covered parking lot (after making sure no one is coming the other direction, of course). I park all the way at the end because the spot lines aren’t clear and I don’t feel like playing “Make a Space” with others who probably don’t color inside the lines either. Curb on one side, I feel safer leaving Blue Tootie alone until lunch.

Once settled at my desk, I’m “teased” about how simple snowflakes falling make everyone panic. I tell a bit of my tale of super slick ICY roads and the spin out I saw. It gets me no sympathy.

Later, when The Daughter doesn’t appear at her scheduled time, I inquire: Is she coming in?

“No, because of the weather.”

With a straight face, too.

I could try to explain the face I made or the sound, or the shaking of the head that continues as I write this. It doesn’t really matter, though.

There are rules, and then there are rules.

And from now on, I make my own, always. If it’s not safe for her, it’s not safe for me, especially since I didn’t even get a “Glad you’re safely here” and/or a “Thank you.”

Now, how to get the fact that I AM CLOSED on a snow day to scroll across the bottom of the TV in the lobby… … …

business-3592133_640

Artist interpretation of non-TV-scrolling sign. If the sign was made today, though, it might include a finger gesture as well. (Thanks, Pixabay, for the pic!)

18 thoughts on “Snow Go

Not fun to drive in nasty conditions. They are calling for a “doozie” to start this afternoon… funny… we went from over one foot of snow expected to 8 inches… will see if the snow even starts at all..

Is it STILL snowing? Yes. One foot fallen, so far…

Now THAT’S a snowstorm.

Yes ma’am…. still have flakes falling willy-nilly, not too heavily – for now…

YAY for snow! YAY!!!!!!!!!

You bet! I’ll take snow over rain in the winter, any day!!
              But come next month, that stuff better start melting,
              Come April, I want it gone!
              A girl can dream, right?

It’ll happen… just maybe not when we’d like. 🙂

Nice new avatar, Dale!

Thank you, darlin’! 3/4 of times, my best pics are taking by my friends… 😉

2. I like looking at the snow but certainly not driving in it.

My daughter-in-law recently went into labour in the middle of a blizzard… I was SO worried they would not make it to the hospital and even if they did no midwifes or doctors would be in attendance… you would not catch me driving in those conditions.

Agreed. It’s pretty to look at, but when it’s ice/icy, you definitely can’t drive in it.

Hope everything worked out well with your daughter-in-law’s wee one!

Will do, in many ways related to this. 🙂

Uh huh. Oh the irony. I like your attitude. No need risking life and limb to get to work because, after all, aren’t you just like a daughter to Boss? 🤨

Thanks. Mm hmm. And I’m like a daughter to mom and others so…. next time, I don’t go!

4. Norm 2.0 says:

Safety first. If it’s that bad then you shouldn’t feel guilty about not putting yourself in danger for an employer.
    We got all snow about 15 inches worth and it’s still coming down. It was enough for my wife’s office to call before it started yesterday to TELL HER to stay home. That was a first.

I’m conscientious to a fault, but I won’t do this again. That’s great they called and told your wife not to venture in. If they don’t do that, I would have at least appreciated a “It’s better to be safe” type comment once I said I wouldn’t in due to the weather. This one is all, “It’s not that bad,” every single time it snows. Uh, sometimes, yeah, it is.

I will do what’s best for me next time (though I did stay home once I got home for lunch!) and I will tell them Norm and my other blog friends are with me. 🙂