In the beginning of October, I joined a choir. For an introvert like me, who is friends with anxiety, this was a challenge. But I did it. After the initial leap, the second hardest thing is follow through. But follow through I did. I show up. I sing. I participate. I listen. I laugh. They’re a fun bunch. Oh, how I enjoys me some fun people.

Anyway, picture it: week five. I’m sitting in my section, the altos, also known as the troublemakers (I swear, they had this moniker before my arrival, though I’m happy to add to the mystique). We get through the first half of rehearsal. The songs are getting better. We’re hitting way more correct notes than wrong ones. And did I mention we’re having fun?

Anyway, part deux: we break for a few minutes. Alto Kim stands up to stretch her legs. I feel someone looking at me. I look up and smile at her.

“You know, we’re really happy that you’re here, you and Carol (other new alto next to me),” she says. “We’re sounding better and so much fuller. Before it was just us three.” She nods to the other two altos who have been around for some time.

“Thanks,” I say. “I’m happy to be here. I’m having a great time.”

It’s been a long time since I’ve been a member of a group, since I belonged to anything. It’s one thing to join something, but it’s a whole other thing to feel like you belong.

29 thoughts on “Belonging

1. trentpmcd says:

Being an extreme introvert I understand having a hard time joining. This sounds great, though. I haven’t been part of a choir since I was a kid and don’t know how easy it would be for me. Glad it’s working out for you and that you are having such a good time. I’m sure it feels nice to be appreciated!

I think I spent the first weekend following recovering (reading, relaxing, seeing no people). Introverting is hard!

It does. Thanks!

1. trentpmcd says:

“Introverting is hard!” – no, Extroverting is hard and it takes a lot Introverting to get back on track πŸ˜‰ Yeah, I’d have to take some recovery time…

Good point there. Mm hmm.

1. trentpmcd says:

Of course, I guess your comment could have been read as “it takes a lot of work to be an Introvert!” which I would have to agree with… Being forced to read and relax and such when around too many people for too long – a lot of work!

Also true. AND part of introverting is having to extrovert.

This comment string brought to you by introverts. Introverts: Analyzing Things On All Sides. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

It’s ALL right.

2. trentpmcd says:

lol I’m sure non-introverts reading this are rolling their eyes πŸ™‚

That’s a very introvert thing to think. πŸ™‚

4. trentpmcd says:

I guess it is … lol

tee hee πŸ™‚

6. Kathleen Howell says:

I’ve found my people! I’m a card carrying Introvert.

Liked by 2 people

Welcome to our special club. We meet often, separately, in our own homes. πŸ™‚

8. Kathleen Howell says:

Perfect!

Liked by 2 people

2. What a lovely thing to say. That would generate a huge internal smile as well, deep down where proud lives!

Right? I was pleasantly surprised! Still smiling about it.

Well said. You can be a member, but a sense of belonging is something different. I’m happy that you belong somewhere new.

Thanks, Ally. πŸ™‚

That is so wonderful, Tara! I wonder where I sit in the singing range… Not that I would ever consider doing such a crazy thing…

Thanks. And on the YouTube, you can find out what part you sing. There are videos that test your range. The Internet is amazing, eh?

5. scr4pl80 says:

How fun for you. Most of my groups are the kind where I can hide in the background but occasionally I get a mention and it is a really good feeling. Sing (and smile) on!

Thanks, Janet! I will!

6. I also love being part of a group and while online groups are fine you can’t beat real life interaction and made to feel part of a family

Agreed! Thanks for commenting, and welcome!

7. utesmile says:

This is a great reason to smile. I joined a choir years ago and it folded unfortunately as we did not have enough members. We sang a capella in the end and it was very hard but such fun! I can understand that you enjoy it!

Sorry to hear that your choir folded. It can be difficult, but you’re right, it is fun!

8. Colline says:

This is definitely something to smile about. As I read your post I could see you are happy – and I could not help but smile at that! πŸ™‚

Thanks, Colline. I’m happy my smile came through my words!