“What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we’re doing now is like somebody’s bed sheets: spread ’em out, soil ’em, ship ’em out to laundry, you know? But our songs…I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever… understand? That’s the most you’ll ever get out of me Wordman. Ever.”

~Eddie Wilson

square1

I am Wordman, using squiggly letters bunched together to form words, sentences, paragraphs. Like Wordman who read Rimbaud, I read the works of the greats and hope that some of it rubs off on me.

I write (bad) poetry, all through high school. I present a maudlin piece about nuclear war, the idea of which permeated the 80s, to my school’s poetry annual. The poem is bleak, my idea of what reality would look like if the bombs explode. When the poem is published, mine, along with many others, have been completely rewritten — without any author’s permission. The negative imagery I wrote is replaced with an unknown hand’s sunshine and clouds, caused by the several references to God now included.

I am Eddie Wilson, a misunderstood introverted poet, who decides that if people don’t understand, I’ll simply remove myself from their presence.

I never submit to that journal again.

Eddie and the Cruisers is one of the most underrated movies of the 80s — it’s a classic, if you ask me. And the soundtrack is amazing, including its most popular song, On the Dark Side. Thanks, John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band.

This post is part of the Blogging A to Z Challenge. My theme is Musical Memoir. Each Monday through Saturday, I explore personal memories through my love of music, inspired and coordinated by the letters of the alphabet. Join in the fun and participate in the challenge, or leave a comment and enjoy some conversation. Thanks for reading. Peace.

12 thoughts on “A to Z: On the Dark Side

I’m not familiar with that movie or song. I can’t understand the lyrics, but I trust that if they are meaningful to you then they’re good. Pop music, I am so out of it…

Ally, you MUST watch this film.

Dark sides calling now, nothing is real.
      She’ll never know just how I feel.
      From out of the shadows she walks like a dream.
      Makes me feel crazy, makes me feel so mean.
      Ain’t nothing gonna save you from a love that’s blind
      Slip to the dark side and cross that line.
      On the dark side.

🙂

2. sorryless says:

Love it!

I had a disagreement with this girl I dated in high school about this song. She insisted Bruce Springsteen sang it, and this was before Google so I couldn’t prove her wrong instantaneously. Long story short, once I proved to her that the Boss didn’t sing this, she got mad at me! I had to buy her flowers . . for being wrong.

Girls!

You could have gone to Sam Goody and asked to see the record and you could have pointed out that it was John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. You bought her flowers? Aw. See, now I would have, but the card would have said, “uh, buh-bye.”

That’s what you get for hanging out On the Dark Side… … …

1. sorryless says:

Sam Goody!!!!
        I brought in the Eddie and the Cruisers soundtrack that my pal Rachel had. She was like “Well, Bruce Springsteen sang it first!” and so she got sore at me when I made her prove it.

Bwahahaha! Yes, I should have! And yup . . as fun as the Dark Side can be, it ain’t all Darth Vader and death stars . . .

John Cafferty is the Shakespeare of Bruce Springsteens. You can quote me on that.

re: the Dark Side and your thought… ‘Tis true (well, at least from what I’ve heard 😉 ).

3. sorryless says:

I LIKE that quote! And I will!

Personally, I think Darth is misunderstood . . .

Darth just needs a hug.

3. madmegsblog says:

Oh man that was one of my fave movies and I loved the soundtrack! I remember buying the soundtrack and listened to it for years, long after I forgot about the movie!

Some great tunes, for sure. Happy to bring some memories back for you.