I’ve had a mighty hankering for Chinese food lately, and the gem of a place I found during the winter is closed for a time. Well, at least I can ‘feed’ my writing with the want of such deliciousness, hence the title of this post.

It’s Song Lyric Sunday and it’s also halfway through the Blogging A to Z Challenge. I figured I’d share something about both today. If only I could share in some spring rolls…

square1Letters A through M of Musical Memoir have been posted. Letters N through S have been written and scheduled. THANK YOU to the people who have read and commented and clicked ‘like’ only after reading. I appreciate you muchly.

Only after reading? Yeah, that’s something that’s been bugging me. It seems that, as my stats reveal, some people actually click ‘like’ without reading. People! why bother? I only click ‘like’ if I’ve actually read the post and I actually try to comment on every post I read. I think that’s sort of the point of all this — connecting. That actually had me thinking of quitting, too. It didn’t help that I realized that was happening just as I was starting to lose steam, sort of like I imagine marathon runners feel like quitting about halfway through… not that I would know since the last time I ran was in 1996 or so, and that was accidental.

I also didn’t realize that you can post your link through the organizers for the post for each day.  I’ll have enough trouble keeping up with the daily posting (hence the writing ahead and scheduling). There’s no way I can keep up with posting my post link each day, too… *faints*…

On the other hand, in addition to the fantastic people who’ve said hello, which I enjoy, this challenge has Muse awake and alert and thinking of all kinds of things to write about. She also reminded me of a project idea I had and now she wants to write THAT. In fact, some of the post ideas I came up with, she insisted that I NOT write for this, but instead include them in that project. That led to some reconfiguring and thinking up new songs for different days, but that’s OK. I remembered why I was excited about the idea when I came up with it a few years ago, and now I’m feeling more ready to actually write it.

Will I finish the challenge this year? Yes. Will I do it again next year? Ask me then. Besides, I might be too busy writing things I’m going to work to actually get published, you know, on paper and such.

And now, it’s Song Lyric Sundaysong lyric sundayThis week’s theme is stayand DJ Tara’s choice… popped into my head even before I finished reading the word.

Picture it: it’s the 90s. Reality Bites is one of the best most awful movies, but really not that bad, and I quite enjoyed it. That was back when Ethan Hawke didn’t wash his hair, but neither did any other man of that era and that was A-OK (he since has kept his hair short and quite clean). That was also pre-Winona Ryder shoplifting-leading-to-an-eventual-comeback days. Good times.

This song was played as the end credits ran and it was a HUGE hit in its day. It’s catchy, but don’t let that keep you from enjoying the lyrics that are truly cool.

You caught me ’cause you want me then one day you let me go
You try to keep away a keeper, or keep me because you know you’re just so scared to lose…

Enjoy the musical stylings of the bespectacled Lisa Loeb (in a video directed by her neighbor Ethan Hawke!) and Stay (I Missed You).

This post is part of Helen’s Song Lyric Sunday. Read this week’s theme post here. Read Helen’s choice for this week here.

I’m still hankering for Chinese, but no place is as good as my place, and plus, the cold and wind outside is telling me to stay… inside. After summer-like 84 degree days the past two days, this blast of winter in spring is refreshing! (If I tell a lie long enough, I’ll believe it, right?)

THANKS FOR READING! And enjoy your stay

23 thoughts on “Combination Platter

1. sorryless says:

Reality Bites WAS one of the best most awful movies! And I enjoyed it as well. So, to borrow an analogy, this is a marathon . . not a sprint. And Chinese food is always something I hanker for . . 🙂

Spring? What spring? It went from summer warm yesterday to this blegh weather! Wat up?!

Lisa Loeb! Loved her! Still do . . .

Peace and good tunes

Reality Bites was so awfully good! And now, because of it, I know who Steve Zahn is, and now I watch his new show, The Crossing.

I’m not sure what season it is today. I needed an ark to get to work.

Peace and good tunes to you.

1. sorryless says:

Does uber do arks?

I dunno. I’ve never ubered (I MADE A WORD!). I would insist on an actual taxi because they are regulated and taxi drivers are mostly JUST cab drivers, like, it’s their *life*. PLUS! There’s always the chance of getting picked up by Alex Reiger. OBSCURE 1970s/80s TV reference!

3. sorryless says:

Of course you made a word. It’s what you do! And you have a point on the whole Uber thing. I’ve never done it either, but it seems all the rage.
        And Alex Reiger! He (well, Judd Hirsch) was born in the Bronx! Like me!

All the kids are ubering (some sort of participle, I think, of the word I made).

I did not know that! About you or Mr. Reiger!

5. sorryless says:

Ubering . . lol. Indeed.

And yes . . Me and Mr Reiger. At different points in time, of course. But Bronx strong!

Why yes, of course. Dude’s 83. You look much younger than that. 😉 Hey, do you know Jenny from the block?

7. sorryless says:

And most days I feel much younger than that! lol
        Of course I know Jenny from the block. Not personally. Or I would definitely be in her posse. Not interested in her romantically since she would toss me to the curb in five minutes flat. But as a loyal member of her posse, I would be living large!

Thatsa nice. Ya know, one time, when I was trying to get to Vermont, I listened to my stupid GPS and veered a bit too far to the right. I ended up in the Bronx! Since I was there, I looked for Jenny… didn’t see her. Didn’t know I might have seen you. 🙂

9. sorryless says:

Jenny is NEVER on the block any more. Not sure what’s up with that . . .

2. J-Dub says:

Love this song. I turn the radio on, turn the radio up!!. I have not kept up with your A-Z as I have been using the daily blog hop. I am going to check it out now though. Music is the best medicine ever. I am guilty of quick liking based on the preview I get on my phone but I always read afterwards. I am kinda compulsive that way 🙂

It’s a great song. Glad you like it! Music IS the best medicine! I agree.

3. herheadache says:

Love. Longing. Loss. Good choice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one myself, but I am glad you did.

Was just thinking of this song, this singer, recently. Was too young for the movie, but loved the music of its soundtrack, especially this song.

Thanks! And yes, the soundtrack for Reality Bites *is* good.

4. Kathleen Howell says:

Haven’t listened to Lisa Loeb in a while, I should look her up. Ah, Chinese… I wish Bill wasn’t a gringo.. Have a great week!

Thanks, Kathleen! I pull out the 90s every now and then and there she is!

You have a great week, too!

5. A.C. Melody says:

“You look like a doily” – LOL Wow, nostalgic. Can’t hear this song without thinking about that movie! Great pick! 🙂

Thanks so much! You look like a doily. hahahahahaha

6. ghostmmnc says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this song. I know I’ve seen the movie ‘Reality Bites’, as it was one of my daughter’s favorite movies. .. ahh Chinese food! I would love some, but we just don’t have a good place to get it here. 🙂

If my favorite place doesn’t reopen, I won’t have a good place to get it here either!

7. I remember this song! My daughter had it on repeat! Good choice!

I can relate to the Chinese food cravings! I made shrimp fried rice last night but it just wasn’t the same. Going in search of Lo Mein later today! 😁

Glad you enjoyed! And hope you had some tasty lo mein!