It’s Thursday! It’s time to share some doors!

ThursdayDoors DSFThis teeny door can open and then deliver such happiness! Ever since I was little, there is little that entertains me beyond reason more than getting mail: cards from grandparents, the JCPenney Christmas Catalog, and so many pen pal letters.

The number of pieces of mail dwindled as I aged, but the age of electronics is threatening its entire existence. It’s a tragedy, a near nightmare. Luckily, there are still some who share my passion for the handwritten word, for envelopes filled with thoughts on paper that take days to arrive (oh, the anticipation!), and the intimate connection that type of correspondence can create. I mean, what would Beaches be without those letters between 11-year-old CC and Hilary, that continued into their adults lives, through decades? (It would be a horrible 2017 Lifetime TV remake using email and texting to keep in touch, that’s what… *shudder*)

I get invited to wee ones’ birthday parties and to participate in wee ones’ fundraisers and other things for school and what not. I get invited to apply for writing fellowships and retreats. It brings me monthly, bimonthly, and quarterly magazines (yes, PAPER ones) filled with all kinds of interesting and entertaining information. I tour the world through Postcrossing — I receive postcards from places I simply won’t get to (Belarus, I’m looking at you), and I’m grateful for the chance to see those places and to connect with people I don’t even know more than half way around the world! And I laugh, smile, cry, and engage people that I know who send cards and letters, just because.

This teeny door is one of my all-time favorite doors, dare I say it, a Door to Joy.

20171006_113421

And there’s always room for more… (hint hint.. just ask if you want to exchange some snail mail…)

This post is one of many through Thursday Doors by Norm Frampton. See other doors — from around the world — on his weekly linkup and/or on the Twitter at #ThursdayDoors. See more of my doors here.

14 thoughts on “Thursday Doors: Please Mr. Postman

1. There is not much that’s better than receiving real mail in your mail box…unless you also get a big check! ๐Ÿ™‚

janet

That happened to me this week, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to know another real mail fan!

1. I try to send our girls a postcard every week and I send real cards for birthdays and sometimes just for fun. I know people enjoy them and I know I like to get them, although I rarely do.

That’s nice, what you do. And, aw. If I had your address, I’d send a card!

This is a brilliant door. I never thought of it as a door yet it is. I agree that it is a door to joy, but would like it more if the junk mail monsters would go away.

Liked by 2 people

True. I’m sure you’ve heard you can put your address on a do not mail type list for junk (I’d have to google as I don’t remember what it is offhand). But otherwise, yes, the mailbox door is a happy one. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Norm 2.0 says:

Yes there’s still a use for snail mail, and I hope there always will be ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Lovely. Just today I was thinking about making a post with only mailbox photos. And that they should really be called billboxes now. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

I went paperless with all my bills, so my mailbox is mostly only happy things. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Elizabeth says:

This is a really cool idea!
    And also, if you want to be my penpal, I’m all for that! Just let me know…

I’d love that! Email me your address at hello [at] daisysmileyface [dot com].