It’s been a while since I was on the campus. I went to school there years ago as an undergrad, but return often for classes for fun. As I beginning planning in earnest for my 2022 Camino de Santiago, I decide to take Spanish. The campus is exactly the same, except for how it sadly isn’t.

I remember school being a place where I not only liked being because I like to learn, but I felt safe. It never would have occurred to me that bad things to happen there.

But they can.

And they do.

During the past few years, the campus has come to terms with this fact of life as well, apparently. As I walked to my first Spanish class of the summer, in a hall I’d spent many hours in back in the day, this sight startled me:

Sign of the Times

The doors have emergency locks on the inside, too. And there are surveillance cameras in plain sight everywhere.

I guess it’s better safe than sorry, but school was always a safe haven, a place I felt comfortable. This door, unfortunately, took a little bit of that feeling away. A sign of the times… sad.

This post is one of many through Thursday Doors by Norm Frampton. See other doors — from around the world — on his weekly linkup and/or on the Twitter at #ThursdayDoors.

9 thoughts on “#ThursdayDoors: Sign of the Times

Your door is definitely a sign of the times. It’s sad to see, but then again knowing this might come in handy. Sometimes changes are subtle, but other times kind of in you face. Like this.

It’s double-edged. Safe – knowing where to go, what to do. Unsafe – that it’s needed. *le sigh* I suppose it’s good that it’s obvious. No sense struggling to find a safe place in a panic.

2. BeckyB says:

Agree very sad that our world has to have these precautions in place

3. Yes. Sad sign of the times indeed. And it doesn’t appear to be changing for the better any time soon.

Unfortunately not. 😦

4. Norm 2.0 says:

A sad sign of the times indeed.
    Good luck with the Spanish courses. That sounds like a fun project.

Thanks, Norm. I found you in spam, like you said! Worpress, knock it off!

5. Can you believe there is a need for such buildings in the US now! The schools are afraid of getting sued!

I can, but I don’t like it, for sure.

Perhaps, but that wasn’t my first (or even first few) thoughts. They’ve had emergency phones all over campuses for years and I didn’t think that then either. I always thought of it as they were trying to help. College kids are adults, but really… they’re like kids still.

Perhaps I’m too idealistic.