Autumn walk

Autumn 2015

I wear my hair down daily after 90 days of ponytails — it’s a lot longer than I thought it would be now. My wardrobe features pants and shirts with sleeves after endless months of as little clothing as possible. As I leave the house today, I take my hoodie with me, for the first time in months, just in case the sleeves aren’t enough as the sun fades from the sky.

As I drive toward the sunset, I buzz the windows down at least half way to let the cool air in, happy to not have artificially cooled air blowing out the vents. After a while, I put them up again — the air flow created by even the slowest speeds inspires goosebumps (along with tangles my hair will not release with ease).

The horses wear blankets in the pasture while grazing under a purple-blue sky. I pass corn stalks, tall and browning, waiting for time to pass until they’re cut to the ground. I smile at a pumpkin patch filled with orange dots waiting to be plucked from their vines, and the orchard’s apple trees that soon will fill pies that make the local farm store smell like heaven.

Closer to civilization, I see a snake-like line of cars wrapped around the Starbucks, all waiting for something hot to warm the chill. I imagine they’ll choose something pumpkin spiced to celebrate the season. Along the highway’s curve, the towering trees are still green, soon to reveal who they really are — reminding me to always show my true colors as well (in case I forget). The burgundy, black, green, and brown sweaters on my closet shelf will soon be worn daily — enough covering to enjoy outdoor adventures until the thicker coats, hats, and gloves are required.

It’s a new season, but it feels like a new year to me. With every cool breeze, my skin (and my soul) is reawakened. I am ready to revel. I am eager and excited. A long-awaited friend has returned and I will enjoy, embrace, and breathe in each and every fleeting moment of Fall.

Welcome back, Autumn. I missed you.

13 thoughts on “Autumn’s arrival

1. Love your details here. I will miss Autumn this year but I’m glad bloggers like you celebrate it so much that I feel I’m experiencing it over again. 🙂

Thank you! Happy to help you enjoy it.

2. Kathleen Howell says:

I love this time of year and you captured it perfectly! I’m happy to look forward to so many autumn joys as summer comes to a close.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I am, too!

3. trentpmcd says:

Autumn is my favorite season. I’m glad it has finally arrived and am looking forward to October!

4. What a beautifully written post, you captured so many of the wonderful things about the fall. It is such a lovely time of the year. I loved the positive energy that flowed from your words as well. Thanks for the smile.

Thank you so much for stopping by and for the kind words. Happy to see you here and that you enjoyed the post! I’ll be by to visit you as well. ~Tara

5. wccunningham says:

Ok… you’re selling me. I must admit that I’m enjoying the cooler air, my hoodie, colors, and the fall flavored coffee creamers and beers. Yep, Fall is cool. Oh! And my favorite blanky and fuzzy pajama bottoms!

Fall is cool! #ISeeWhatYouDidThere hahahaha Yes, blankies and fuzzy pjs are the BEST! Glad to have you on the Autumn team, Bill!

6. Corina says:

I have missed autumn, too. I’m glad it’s back.

It’s still not fully here, but it’s getting a little better. Still waiting for good colors. Everything’s just turning brown with all the humidity we’re having. *sigh*

7. Rachel says:

I agree, fall is the best!